[Dailydrool] Bad Basset Owner (slave).

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Mon Jun 2 09:35:17 PDT 2008

It is better to feed hounds twice a day half in the morning, half in the
evening.  Its the same amount of food but delivered to help keep starving
"signs" at bay.

Think of it this way... when was the last time YOU went 24 hours before
eating something?  And did YOU want to scarf down every bit you had in
seconds?

There is more information regarding bloat that suggests dogs gulping food
adds to the potential for bloat, and by feeding only once a day, your
houndie is learning "now or never" eat it all or you're going to be hungry
again for a whole day...

augment your snacks with healthy items ... not just bones and food
supplemental type stuff..  Some carrots, green beans, slices of apple ...
something to eat that is healthy yet doesn't add calories that your hound
won't need.

As for the rest ... someone already made a really good suggestion.. about
getting a "basset adopters" guide from a rescue, so that you can let the
folks know... you're doing the best you can.. but the basset is "this
way"... and it wouldn't hurt to apologize .. "I'm sorry you feel I'm a
horrible basset owner, I was following these instructions.." .. and that may
open them up a little to try and give you some tips .... granted you don't
have to act on their tips.. lord knows some of *MY* neighbors tips would
boil my blood with how insensitive they are!!

Remember... every day with a basset ... is pretty unique .... just like
every OTHER day with a basset..  :)

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Bad Basset Owner (slave).

We were gone for 3 days over Memorial day weekend, so I asked my neighbor to
come feed our basset Pesky who is not even year old yet.  I also asked they
let her outside daily.    After our trip we came back and my neighbors no
longer like me.  Why?

I left instructions to feed my dog 2 and a half cups of large breed science
diet puppy food 1 time per day in the evening.  This is the same
instructions on the bag of food.