[Dailydrool] Bad Basset Owner (slave).

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 10:35:29 PDT 2008

I have to say that these arrangements for a Basset under a year of age
really don't sound adequate.

While I agree that feeding twice a day is healthier for the Basset, that's
not my major concern. My major concern is the apparent amount of time Pesky
was alone and either kenneled or unsupervised in the yard.

I hope that if you have further travel planned for this summer, that you can
arrange for an in-home sitter who will be there more often than once or
twice a day - or kennel her in a proper boarding kennel where she can get
exercise periods and company from other dogs in the adjacent kennels.

Alternatively, you might ask on the list if there are others in the area
that you can swap puppy sitting with. I have this arrangement with the folks
who bought one of my pups last year. Florrie (was Isabel) comes to visit
with me and my dogs when her people travel, and when I travel I send Aretha,
who is about Florrie's age, up to visit with her family. It's worked great.
The girls love their "play date camps" and I feel secure that these young
dogs (Florrie is 18 months and Isabel is 14 months) have enough stimulation,
attention and oversight.

Sorry to be so blunt, but the kind of arrangement you used I would not use
unless the dog was middle-aged or older. 3 Days is a huge amount of time for
a dog to be left alone.

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
Olympia, WA

This message is copyright, and may not be forwarded or cross-posted without
my explicit permission.