[Dailydrool] Miss Angela and the dog days

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 12:07:56 PDT 2008

Bill here,press agent/personal trainer to Miss Angela Basset, Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick County

It is now hot and muggy here in Kansas.  Wichita got 14 or 15 inches of rain in May and most came during wonderfully violent prairie thunderstorms.  Miss Angela was exhausted much of the time from having to rush to me and reassure me that it was all right whenever thunder or lightning crashed.  She has become lethargic in the heat and thus spends most of her time on the cool tiles of the kitchen aka her room or on the couch.

Angie always loved her walks, but as the heat has come on, she is not so avid.
We had worked our way up to 2 miles every evening but now she really begins to drag.  She is so funny (you didn't hear that from me) as she pokes along in the shady parts of our walk and lopes quickly across the sunny patches.   She stops to "do her business" (or leave a message) very frequently to slow our
progress.

A restaurant in our neighborhood which has some outside tables has begun selling Frosty Paws.  In fact, like the local drug pusher (and, now that I mention it, so does the doctor with samples), the first one is free.   Miss Angela may realize that I bought her a Frosty Paw to encourage her to walk that far because, after licking it for a while, she just walked away from it.  She could not be convinced to come back and finish it.  I knew that she was a finicky eater, but could not believe that she would turn down a treat from a nice stranger.

I would get her a little pool of her very own, but she has not shown any interest in the pool used by the kids next door.  She has never tried to get into my back yard fishpond since she fell in once when she was just a buppy.   When I take her to the lake, she wants nothing to do with the water beyond drinking it.  She does not like the sprinkler either.

What I really hate about the warmer weather is that neither of us wants to cuddle like we do in cooler times.  She hesitates to jump up into my lap in the evenings and I am always relieved when she gets down, leaving a sweaty spot on my legs.  She still wants petting and belly rubs so she doesn't mind when I powder her pits with Gold Bond Medicated Powder.  I swear by that stuff.  We both use it.

On the positive side, Angela is producing much more healing drool and we send it to those in need.  Better there than in long drool slicks on the tile.

Bill (Hunkering under the ceiling fan, trying to postpone turning on the AC as long as possible)
Angela (Maybe if you would cut your travel budget, we could afford to run the AC 24/7 and I could be really happy)