[Dailydrool] Biting dogs & USPS

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Wed Jun 4 13:56:13 PDT 2008

As entertaining as the line about dogs biting mailmen is, that's not what my original post was about. The poster I saw was out there for the whole world to see, not just as a warning to postal carriers.

Granted, all of us should be careful with our dogs. The people who walk across the street when they hear my three (or even two of them) are not being chased by them. In fact, when someone goes by, I usually pull them well behind the line of bushes that border our property. At that point, either they wave and smile or cross the road. We sure know who the dog lovers are! Some want to visit, and we do so carefully. Once in a while, someone wants to approach Abner too quickly and gets a warning. I don't think he'd bite a stranger, but I'm careful because he bit me when he was hurting with his back.

I don't say dogs can't bite. If you have a known biter, you have to warn folks. But terrorizing everyone about every dog seems rather unfair.

However, the poster who said that you can't change the post office system is probably right. I've had plenty of run-ins with the postal employees, for little or no reason on really silly things. And I'm not a particularly feisty person, except where my hounds are concerned.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets