[Dailydrool] June 5 Calendar Date!! (LONG)

Heather Lessely heather.lessely at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 11:10:14 PDT 2008

Hellooowww there everybody!
Heather, mom of the zoo formerly known as Moon here.... and today is my babies' calendar day. Sunday was Pw. Wendell W. Bottom's 8th birthday!! Unbelievable - that means that October 10th is his 8th gotcha day and that we have been involved in the wonderful Daily Drool Family for just over 7 years......
Things have changed much for us since then. Wendell was my ex-husband's 1st anniversary present, bought by me on a whim when we went into a pet store to buy crickets for the tarantula. Wendell made me absolutely crazy, being an OEBE before the OEBE was founded (and one of the original members)..... we already had Kodi, ATB (the tibetan mastiff mix, and my beautiful girl) and Probert the Boxer (later made BABES Pugilist by Lovely Lucy and Queen Bess) as well as cats, snakes, turtles, ferrets and a tarantula... but Wendell was the first dog ever who I felt I needed to take back to the store, to the pound, somewhere, anywhere, so he would stop pottying in the house, whining, crying, and eating everything in sight (including glass Christmas tree bulbs including the hooks!)...
That Thanksgiving, I found the Basset Hound Owner's survival guide (thanks Diane!!) and then the Daily Drool and GABR and Waddles and a few years later..... Ohio Basset Rescue, and my beautiful Evil Enchantress Bailey Mackenzie (thanks a million Eva!)........
I lost my Kodi and our boa Bonnie within a week of each other, then our beloved "Grandpa Moon" (my FIL and the leader of the Men in Black in Chicago in many a OEBE/BABES adventure as well as a great Waddle leash holder) and you all helped me grieve and sent cards and notes and letters to my family and embraced them all. When my furkids' dad decided to move on with his life without us, you were there for me too. Thank you all for always being around, being a shining spot in my day or week, whenever I can get on and read all your stories.
Through the last 7 or so years, I've made some wonderful friends, had some wonderful times and often feel that I've gained a huge family - some who I hear from every day, others who pop up now and then through stories or quick notes or just the digest.  I travel quite a bit and have been lucky to meet Droolers all over the U.S. not only at GABR and Michigan, but when I've been on extended work trips too.  I don't get time to post often, and I'm always behind not only DD emails but individual emails from other droolers.... but its always a happy time (even if its through tears) when I get to jump on the computer and catch up.
I just wanted to use our calendar day to say thank you to all of you, my close "email" friends as well as the wider dd community and those who have and now keep things running smoothly, and Nancy and Caruso who started it all. I love my 5 furkids with all my heart - two cats, one boxer, and two little people in hound costumes. If I hadn't found you all, I wouldn't have those two hounds. I wouldn't have realized the challenge and joy of perpetual toddlers (yes, I tell people its like keeping up with two cats, a dog, and two two-year-olds), and I wouldn't have the wonderful friendships that have developed because of them
Happy calendar day my heart boy and momma's girl!!
Heather, mom-slave to the Batavia Beasts (I'm thinking that's a good name since we live in Batavia now - the Lessely Lunatics has also been suggested)
Pw. Wendell W. Bottom, OEBE Viceroy, Bailey Mackenzie, OEBE Evil Enchantress, Probert BABES Pugilist, and Sparkey and Bilbo the very tolerant cats