[Dailydrool] escape artist and fetch

srossdo at comcast.net srossdo at comcast.net
Fri Jun 6 13:49:59 PDT 2008

About a week ago, a few of my kids were outside on a great day, and I needed to run some errands, so decided to sneak out and leave them out there. When I got home, I was one short. My little red and white girl, Doheny, wasn't with the rest. I looked in to dog house and then around the house, thinking maybe I was mistaken and she had been inside...nope. Went back out, and looked to the front, and there, under the fence, I saw a little face peeking IN from OUTSIDE! I went over and she had dug under. I couldn't open the gate with the rest of the crew clamoring to get out, so went thru the house and out the front door to see her little butt and tail wagging while she was still looking into the yard. I guess the way she dug she could get out but not back in. It appears, since she was alone, she couldn't figure out what to do with her freedom other than try and get back with her family. When I called her over she ran and wiggled and rolled and wiggled....I had saved her from being banis
hed!!!! I know if anyone had joined her outside they would have gone "walkabout" so I count  my blessings that she isn't more independent. No one gets left out anymore and I will be looking into rebar or some sort of stakes to put along that section of the fence!

I always use "fetch" as an example when people ask me about Bassets and tell them : You throw the ball, and the Basset gives you a dirty look saying "Hey, I was playing with that! You threw it away, now go get it, and give me cookie (or three) to keep me occupied while you are gone." So, you give him the cookies and retrieve the ball. End of story. Do you still want a Basset?

Drool to all in need!

Synthia with
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Doheny, Kahuna, Bixby ATB
Ace the Newf
Saintly Miss Maggie, Baja, Hannah ATB
Maya the Great Dane