[Dailydrool] Morse's Morning

rebecca stanton rebecca.stanton at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 04:33:32 PDT 2008

Morse went out for a mega walk last night all round the village and he loved it.This morning he was absolutely exhausted and even by 9am hadnt woken up.  So I woke him and took him out.  We got to the top of our drive and he wandered into the road with snooter high in the air, sniffing.(luckily its a quiet road). Then he sat down and looked about, and after a few minutes of deliberation, lay down in the road with a little HRRRMPPH. I came to his assistance, to see if I could persuade him to get up, but all he did was go into full flat basset mode, and lifted his paw for belly rubs. A car came along, (everyone knows Morse by now) and happily went round. The next car to come along was my neighbour who is a favourite of Morse, and he wound the window down to speak to flat basset, so then we have flat basset with thumping tail. Neighbour drives into his driveway and gets out of his car, and Morse is up and has charged over to see him, full of cries
 of happiness, while I watch on, bleakly. Lots of cuddles between neighbour and Morse ensue, with neighbour then going into house to fetch a biscuit.  Morse follows and I can see him bolting into every room and finally arriving in kitchen, on cue for biscuit.  Biscuit is eaten, neighbour says 'what do you say?' and gets rewarded with a slurp.  I am still waiting in the front garden for Morse to emerge, leash dangling, and when he finally comes out, he seems less keen that ever on a walk. 'Walkies?' I say, hopefully. But no.He turns and shoots through the hedge into our front garden, and deposits his morning turd in a heap, before trotting through the side gate to have breakfast and resume his obviously much needed rest.