[Dailydrool] Breathing Difficulties

jasperlabs at frontiernet.net jasperlabs at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 9 16:30:08 PDT 2008

Hi all.  We'd like to send drool to EVERYONE in need.  I've got a
question and to make this Basset related; it's for Elvis' sister
Maisie the lab.  Elvis is worried about her and we know no other place
to ask for advice that is as good as the drool.  Maisie is an (approx)
10 yr. old lab.  She came to us as a stray, I'm sure from one of the
Amish farms around here.  We've had her for 8 years and just recently
she's been having trouble breathing; mostly inhaling.  She's panting
heavily and at times is gasping for breath.  I had her to the vet
today and after 2 hours, 2 x-rays of her trachea, lungs,etc. they're
still not sure why she's breathing so hard .  They said she may have
calcification of the bronchia,maybe?.   They prescribed Albuteral
twice a day as needed and prednisone (hate steroids) for a week or so.
  I've given her both but so far, she is still laboring to breath.
It's very hot here and we have no A/C so I'm trying to make sure she
stays as cool as possible, but it's kind of hard because she won't go
outside (where it's cooler) and wants to stay inside.  If anyone has
any suggestions, info, anything, please email me off list so I can
help ease her suffering.  I feel so bad for her :(.  Thanks you guys.
Jeanie and Elvis (the blind basset)