[Dailydrool] A happy momma!!

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 07:09:56 PDT 2008

First of all, the boys are flinging drool to all those who need it! We hope
to hear that Maggie's sore is doing better, and that Piglet makes it through
her skin graft & heals fast!

Last night I took Joey out for one of his evening frolics around the yard,
and he decided to go pester my dad who was working on his pick-up truck.
Joey wound up deciding to jump up in it and take a good sniff around, not
that anyone minded, it's low enough he can just step in it. But, while he
was sniffing, dad looked up and said "wow, he's got a furry tail." Now, well
that might not sound like anything new, 1/2 to 2/3 of his tail were bare
when I adopted him last summer. I looked at him closer, and dad's right!!
There's only 2 small areas of his tail that don't have some peach fuzz on
it, and the area right above his tail that used to be bigger than my hand
has also grown in pretty well. Even some of the spots on his side have grown
in a bit more. (Those are still mostly hairless, but there's clearly some
new, short hair growth!!) That makes me a very happy hound dog momma!! We're
not sure what's bringing about the new growth, Joey's been on melatonin for
it since he was in rescue (I actually cut his dose in half, as it was making
him drowsier), and we started the petvites a couple months ago, but just 2
or 3 weeks ago I switched him from Solid Gold Hundeflocken to Merrick's BG
(Before Grain). I know that skin allergies and things can be caused by
grain, so I'm starting to wonder if his alopecia could have been affected by
it as well?
I suppose it'll be one of those mysteries we'll never know... But, I'm super
happy that he's got a least a little more hair on him. (He's even got just a
dusting of peach fuzz on his long, leathery ears!!) I don't know how much
will actually be able to grow in all together, and even our vet says they
can't garuntee he'll keep regrowing the hair, or that it won't be lost
later, but for now, we'll take what we can get!!
-Karrie, happy momma to Joey (it's hot & I'm growing more fur, why is she
happy?), aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)