[Dailydrool] Questions about show hounds

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Tue Jun 10 07:11:20 PDT 2008

I was dashing to get the pics up when I sent the last comment about the Midland Basset weekend in the UK.
The first day was a fun day - neither Rolph or Clara placed in any competition, but they took part with good humour - even when the KC judge insisted Clara was part Doxie! The rep from Basset Hound Welfare who let me adopt her was FURIOUS and had a go at the judge - which was quite funny.
There was also a party in the evening which was all very nice and above all everybody was so friendly. I didn't meet a single person with 'side' or pretentions all weekend.
Camping was also an experience. I think Clara must have done it before. As soon as the tent was up, she shot into the bedroom and curled up very happily - Rolph was less sure about it. He spent the first night in the porch protecting us by barking at every light, late arrival, shadow . . . .
In the end I dragged him into the bedroom too, and looped his lead around my arm so I would wake if her tried to escape. Needless to say I ended up chasing him around the campsite in my nightdress and bare feet in the middle of the night!

The second day was the serious show, with top-line bassets arriving from 7.30am to be judged by a woman flown in from Ireland. I have never been to a serious show before and wanted to ask all sorts of questions - and who better to ask than the Drool? Please don't flame me, I write from a point of ignorence and wish to be informed.

I noticed all the hounds who were placed were really huge and low-slung. Now, of course, all bassets are low slung, but these were barely half an inch off the ground. This made me wonder - as I understand it, they are hunters. Their skills are stamina and the ability to traverse rough countryside. But these hounds were so massive and so low I can't believe they could ever hunt. I was also concerned that the bitches were so close to the ground they must have terrible trouble carrying a litter and the mere thought of their teats being distended with milk was painful. There was no way a pregnant or nursing bitch of this shape would be able to walk without dragging the ground and being in great pain.

So, is there a different standard for hunting hounds and show hounds? And why are (these) show hounds being favoured, when their shape would make procreation so hard?

Thanks
Sally, slave to Rolph and Clara who would be laughed out of any KC event

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP