[Dailydrool] Maplecreek-to Dan

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Thu Jun 12 07:27:03 PDT 2008

Dan,  Some show breeders make it darn hard to buy a puppy from them with a
lot of conditions in their contracts.  Even for Pets..

> I have not seen that very much at all among Basset breeders, and I've
looked at a lot of contracts in the process of developing my own contract.
I've also talked with a lot of Basset breeders across the country, and I
have not run across the kind of barriers that you are attributing to
breeders of show dogs. There are significant conditions in contracts to buy
show prospect puppies, because we are letting intact bitches and dogs go -
and those dogs represent our breeding programs, and have the potential to be
bred. But *most* pet puppies are not subject to those conditions. For
example, in my own contract, pet puppies must be (1) spayed or neutered by a
specific date; (2) returned to me if the purchaser is unable to care for
them: (3) given adequate food, water, shelter, veterinary care; (4) kept as
a personal pet, primarily in the home (not housed in the yard); and (5)
never carried loose in the back of a pick-up truck (which is against state
law in most states to begin with. Sound excessive?

It is also sometimes difficult to even find show breeders or breeders who
will respond to requests.

> I have offered on this list to help people make connections with
*reputable* breeders of quality dogs, and I believe that other reputable
breeders on the list have offered the same assistance. I have never *once*
been taken up on the offer - and have several times later seen happy
announcements that people got a Basset over the internet or from other
questionable sources.

I like puppies to stay with siblings to 10 weeks.  I think it improves bite
inhibition a 1000 fold.  You also have less dog to dog agression.   But some
show breeders take forever decididng which dogs to keep and which to sell.

Generally, a breeder of show dogs will have some "clear pets" who can go at
10-12 weeks, some clear show prospects who won't go at all and maybe  a
couple of "I'm just not sure yet" pups who will stay on longer to 16 or even
24 weeks. But it is not impossible to get a younger (10-12 week old puppy),
who are still VERY puppy in their antics, looks and cuteness, from a good
breeder. I'd also point out that a 4-6 month puppy is still pretty adorable,
that they are often well on their way to housebreaking, leash trained for
walks, fully vaccinated, and have some house manners - so for a working
family, they can really be an ideal pet.

What people have to be prepared for  to some extent is thinking ahead to
when they will want a pup and making contacts well in advance. In our
society of instant-gratification, I want one and I want one *now*, it's hard
to find puppy buyers willing to do that - but if they are, they are
generally rewarded with the best pet pups in the litter, including in some
cases puppies who are in fact suitable to show, but the breeder doesn't have
enough show homes available and so places them as pups.

And that said, even breeders with established wait lists will often have
puppies come available as time for placement comes and people on the wait
list drop out for one reason or another.

I reiterate my offer to help people find reputable breeders if they are
thinking ahead a bit about their next dog. Try it - I think you'll be
pleasantly surprised not only to find well bred and well socialized puppies,
but a lifelong mentor and support in the breeder as well.

Sylvie McGee

HeavenScent Bassets

Olympia WA

sylviemcgee at comcast.net