[Dailydrool] wyatt update

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Sat Jun 14 05:47:17 PDT 2008

Just shy of his 12th birthday, Cysco's brother Ebert (and best friend) was diagnosed with an aggressive tumor on the shoulder.  Now, he was a Golden, not a basset.  We knew he didn't have long and gave him the pain meds the doctor prescribed.  At his age, surgery was not an option.  The tumor ultimately hit his spine and he became paralyzed in his back legs.  A wheelchair at his age with the possibility of more problems just didn't seem to honor his life and he was a big dog, near 100 lbs.  The Vet, near tears, felt letting him go to the bridge was the best option.  It was a hard decision, but one I do not regret.
After a few months of having "only" one dog, a friend in Texas started telling me about her bassets.  I started looking into them and realized that a basset would be just the friend that Cysco (and I) needed.  So now we have a crazed chewing buppy (currently sleeping in her crate) with Cysco next to the crate.  They play all the time, though his lies down most of the time.  I'm sure he misses Ebert less and we have a new buddy that makes us laugh.  So my prayers are with you and Wyatt.  Whatever decision you make, love him while you have him.  I just wished they all lived forever.