[Dailydrool] Wyatt

Linda H dirtherm2 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 16:48:40 PDT 2008

Steve, my heart goes out to you. Merlin has the same problem. A fast growing tumor on his hind knee. I am just keeping him comfortable with pain meds.

When is "the time"?  Wyatt will probably let you know. It sounds like you are very close to him.

Kristy, our atb cat, never cuddled. He had a tumor in his chest that kept filling his lungs with fluid. We would get it drained off and he would be a  kitten for a short while. One day, he climbed onto my chest while I was laying down, looked into my eyes, and told me it was time. He had never layed on me before.

Spider, our atb cat, had kidney failure. He was in pain. The only choice was to stick a big honkin' needle under his skin every day and add fluid. He was a mostly outdoor cat, so this was no quality of life. We let him go.

Turbo, our atb basset, picked up a massive infection. Doc said it was kennel cough. Maybe. She was on really strong antibiotics. She stopped eating. I was force feeding her. One day, she said enough. She refused to let me force feed her any more. Then went out and sat on the back steps, in the sun. We let her go. The sun did not shine for another month.

When is it time? The decision may be obvious, if Wyatt has a traumatic episode where he obviously hurts, can't walk, and the meds no longer work. Then it is easy. Easy on the mind, not the heart. Quality of life is the issue. When it is no longer there, it is time. Yeah, it will hurt like bloody hell. But never second guess yourself.

Now just enjoy your baby boy for as long as doG or whoever allows. Spoil the blazes out of him. That is what we are doing with Merlin.

Linda and Merlin (can I have another treat, mommy? sure, baby)