[Dailydrool] A Reely Fun 2008 Trout Parade

Suzanne Fitch adopt4paws at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 06:53:05 PDT 2008

Weather initially was hot and humid for the parade, turning sunny, then a touch of rain and the sound of thunderstorms on and off during the picnic.

We had a nice turnout with fun, happy and crazy people who enjoyed the parade with their hounds. The float turned out pretty well - I'll try to post photos as they come in . Theme was "Bassetfish of the Catskills", complete with a stuffed toy lifesize basset endowed with fins jumping up for a biscuit tied to a fishing pole held by a stuffed giant toy frog sitting on top of a "mountain" with a stream flowing down, created by Denise & Bob Rushworth.

Pawraders Marilyn Brazzle of HOP and Melynda Majors resplendant in their fish hats graced the float with their bassets dressed as beautiful fishing lures (think gauzy butterfly wings). Swedish Fish were thrown to the adoring crowd who, at one point, swarmed the float. Melynda was also interviewed by Channel 6 television about MidABHR and the parade participation. (Hope we made it to the news!!) Lois Lema, one of our volunteers, brought her hounds over to a group of handicapped folks sitting sideline in wheelchairs to be petted and also made sure any floats with children were supplied with Swedish Fish.

LadyBug was smashing in one of her flower chapeaus, accompanied by adoring food slaves Ingrid Kjeldaas and Larry Gertner. Long Island folks Cathy & Ron Larsen, Mary Francis Casey, Walli Gnatkowski & her boyfriend Mike helped make our contingency colorful and fun. Beth & Bill Howering, Steve Wexler, Shelley Galinkin and her handsome hound Abraham (dressed in fishing hat and vest) helped to entertained the crowd as well - Abraham, when encouraged with a cookie, makes for quite a show talking.Houndstooth Bakery owners Cassandra & Jim Vance brought specially created trout cookies for the hound participants, and enjoyed the day pawrading and picnicing with us along with their friends Gary & Linda O'Neil, whose two bassets and Great Dane wannabe joined us. Newbie volunteer and soontobeflunkafoster home Michele Allison brought along her foster basset Duke and picked up bassador Lucky, who was such a wonderful boy throughout everything. Michele's son and father joined us as well.
 Alice & Mike Haley brought their grandson who had a ball munching on Swedish Fish while walking along the parade with all of those hounds.

Everyone went over to the Livingston Manor Covered Bridge Park, which was close enough to the river for hounds and humans to cool off in the water a bit. Additional people joined us there. Brenda Cruse and her family had set up everything in the pavilion for a bountiful lunch, merchandise table, and raffle table overflowing with basset and non-basset crap. Prizes were awarded for Best Costume (2 prizes to Marilyn & Melynda's fishing lure hounds and Miss Harley Haley with her fishing vest), Best Trick to Abraham Ga-Linken, Best Hat Hound - Ladybug. Best Hat Human - Lisa Fagen with her dad's trout hat.

People asked if this would be an annual event - based on the reaction of the group, I'd say definitely. It's a small town fun event which I hope to see grow as far as the basset group participation.

Special thanks to those who helped set this event up and to all who participated for their generous donations. Looking forward to next year's event already!!
Suzanne Fitch
Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue