[Dailydrool] comfort from the lessons learned from Katrina

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Wed Jun 18 08:47:23 PDT 2008

I would like to share one of many questions asked of the director of the
cedar rapids IA effort.. this city was completely under water much like
what happened in New Orleans. I still think of those animals there but
found solace that we are now better prepared.

Question - Who is on-site now helping?

Answer - The shelter was brimming with volunteers and organizations.
Each one of these groups was offering a unique and much needed area of
expertise.  The Humane Society of the United States, the Iowa Department
of Agriculture, the United Animal Nation, the Cedar Rapids Kennel
Association, 4RK9s...just to name a few.  (All working
side-by-side...picture the Coke Commercials from the 70's and
80's..without the singing.)

Question - Is this going to be another Katrina?

Answer - In my humble opinion, no.  Plain and simply...no.  I've spoken
to dozens of Katrina veterans over the past couple days, and can happily
say that the advice they are giving me was already in place at the
shelter.  Katrina was a horrible tragedy, but provided some much needed
lessons to be learned, and best practices to be shared.  Every animal
organization involved with Katrina recognizes what worked, and what
didn't.  Changes have been made.  During a time like this, our efforts
are best served by continuing to work together, continuing to put aside
our preconceived notions of who's a "good guy" and who's a "bad guy."
This is NOT a purebred dog effort, This is NOT an animal control effort,
This is NOT an HSUS effort, its NOT a dog effort, its NOT a cat
effort....it IS an "animal world" effort.  When you're out there, it IS
a TEAM effort.  The effort has been amazing!  Every person at that
shelter has one thought on their mind...."how can I help these animals?"
It's impossible not to be moved to tears when walking through the
shelter and seeing how amazing it is.

Helena Poist

Proplanner

2500 North Loop Drive