[Dailydrool] Coyote Question

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Wed Jun 18 15:41:53 PDT 2008

Wow, somewhere else with coyotes ! We had a coyote encounter last winter that had me shaking for days. The following is an email I sent my friends and family the day it happened. I knew I could probably
run at him and scare him away from Bosley, but I was terrified that one of the other two off leash would
go for him-- Bosley is 72 lbs and I swear the coyote was a big as he was with longer legs. Stay on leash,
stay together. Lots of gophers to eat in the summer, don't see them much. Supposedly a pair of them had a den with cubs last summer. Here is the story.

Took all three dogs to Dimple Dell gully today, as usual. Very cold out, no one around, so let them off lease. Hard to deal with 3 Flexi leads with gloves and my fingers FROZE yesterday without them.
Bosley is lollygagging as usual, and is about 50-60 feet behind us. I keep turning and saying "Come on, Bos". All of a sudden I look back and there is a HUGE coyote heading for Bosley. Those of you who have seen Bosley know he is the perfect rump roast. I pull out my Blackberry to take a once in a lifetime photo, as I start walking back toward Bos --who was totally oblivious and smelling a bush as the coyote circles him--My heart was just racing--and I couldn't get the &%#$ camera phone to work--wouldn't get out of the photos I already had-- I am walking back, coyote is not moving, just staring- I am praying Bosley doesn't turn around and see the coyote and want to interact --
I am also praying Sasha and Chester keep going on the trail and don't follow me, as I know Sasha
would be for mixing it up with the coyote and Chester would at least want to say Hello. The coyote is
within 4-5 feet of Bosley, just staring at him--I am getting closer and closer and I am simply terrified.--
I can't believe Bosley couldn't smell the coyote when he was that close. At one time, they are both
linear-the coyote directly behind Bosley--looming over him-- would have been a  prize winning
photo- darn camera phone. Sasha and Chester are NOT following me, thank heavens. I finally get
within 10 feet of the 2 of them and the coyote WALKS away. Obviously not very afraid of me, or so
extremely hungy didn't care. Put Bosley on leash and catch up to the other two--put them on leash-
let the frozen fingers begin--I was so relieved I cannot tell you. I spent the rest of the walk feeling sorry
for the hungry coyote, but very relieved Bosley was not dinner. No matter how cold the fingers get, no more off leash- That was my day--how was yours?
--
Marilyn Briggs