[Dailydrool] Anudder adventure!! (kind of long)

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 07:07:56 PDT 2008

Hewo folks, dis be Joey. Momma say I gots a new name, "Joey Houndini." See
wast night I's had anudder adventure! Da momma, she gots dis show her an her
furends be in, so I waited until she inda costumey, den, she go to put
mememe out onda tie-out so I could take care ob business. Wew, der be a
hassenpfeffer out der, an I goes an barkbarkbark at he, and I runrunrun
affer him, an I feels da jerk ob da line, den I'ws be clearin da housey an
da yard an trees, an inta do orch-orcer-apple trees behind da yard, an da
hassenpfeffer he go lebt, den alls I heers be da momma, she a screamin
"JOEY!! JOEY!!" an I's stiw chasen da hassenpfeffer thru da twees, but I
wosted himz, 'causa da momma screamins. She scare me, her voice be weal high
an loud, an she sound ascared, so I goes back ta pwotects hers, an she gwab
what left ob da handle on me harness, an dwaggs mememe into da house. Da
gwandpa, he comes into da yard ta help wangles mememe, he say he heers hers
scremin inna front yard, an dad gwandma she comes back wiff da white boxes
what smell wewy good!! I dunno why da momma bes so scared fors, I's just be
twyin ta catch hers an me some hassenpfeffers for dindin...
-Joey, now officially a Houndini

Yeah, Joey, you just keep saying you were trying to catch dinner. That
blasted dog has officially done the impossible... He ripped the handle off
of his SAR harness!! This SAR (search and rescue) harness is literally
designed for S&R teams, where the dog will be lowered down the side of a
mountain, or sent into wreckage, etc. They're *supposed* to be
indistructible... he broke it!!! It was odd though, as structurally the
harness is still functional, but the middle part of the back (which has a
handle) ripped out, yet the fabric (nylon) that was lining it is still
there, hence why the damage was minimal, and the structure of the harness is
still intact. But, I did run out barefoot chasing him through probaly about
1/4 to 1/2 acre of yard and into the orchard behind our house. Thankd
goodness he at least came running back when I was screaming at him! But, he
had quite a run. (It's amazing how fast those stubby legs can move when they
want too!) So, now I'm really on a search for a new harness for him, and dad
is figuring out a way to keep this from happening. Until tuesday, it's been
about a year w/o incident. The first harness I bought for him the D-ring
(where the leash connects) straightened out and dad chased him though the
field, but that was a very poorly constructed harness, and I didn't know
better when I bought it. These two, however, are very good harnesses, so it
worries me that he's done this now twice. He walks good on the leash, he's
not an excessive puller, but I'm about at my wits end. I don't want to keep
him banished to the house, and if he can only be out on leash, that's fine,
but it would put an end to having him outside while we eat, or well mom's
gardening, or well dad's working on his projects. They're never unattended,
but on the other hand, if we have to always have the leashes in hand, it
cuts down on what we can do with them. (Not to mention, his flexi lead is
only 15 feet, and our shortest tie-out is 20 ft., so he'd get to roam in
less area...) Dad's pretty mechanical, so I'm hoping we can rig up a
solution to this, other than having his outside time greatly reduced. And,
yes the hassenpfeffer was not caught, so he'll probably be back another day.
Last year there was 2 or 3 that repeatedly came by, and they would sit about
5 feet from where Joey's tie-out ended, so that they were safe, and taunt
him, but I'm thinking the bunny might rethink that plan now.
-Karrie, a frustrated momma to Joey Houndini, bunny chaser extraordinare!