[Dailydrool] Bassets Brawling and the lumps continue, need advice please

Bassetmomof2 at aol.com Bassetmomof2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 12:30:12 PDT 2008

As you know Freddie and Ellie has cysts lanced a week ago.  The one on
Freddie's back has flattened and sealed nicely.  The one on his bum is  still large
enough that its open and we are still cleaning it twice a day.   Poor boy
gets dirt in it and I feel like I'm really scrubbing to get the dirt  out.  He's
very patient with me.  Darn it but he still has one on his  chest that we
couldn't find when we were at the vetlady.  Luckily it was  already tested in
April and we know its a cyst.  Now Ellie had the smallest  one that wasn't serious
at all BUT it is under her ear at the top of her neck  and I think she now
has an infection just next to the site.

Backing up a bit....Ellie has been feeling a bit under the weather since I
stupidly gave her some cheese the other day.  After finally get them on to
straight kibble, I think the cheese and the darned leaves growing around the dog
run really irritated her tummy.  So, hubby mowed and trimmed with the
weedeater.  There are still some leaves but not near as much.  I went  and got her
some ID to keep her tummy bland for a couple days along with the  pepcid that
she has for long term use as needed per the vetlady.  Her stool  looked normal
this afternoon.

Anyway, today she's really cranky and while I was upstairs she attacked
Freddie.  Usually Freddie backs off when I step in but this time he  was not
backing down and he goes for it.  He kicked her butt - it was all I  could do to
break it up.  I don't think they would have stopped on their  own.  She has a
puncture wound on her left leg, one on her left  cheek and a couple through her
right ear.  The cuts are weeping a tiny  amount at this point (about 2 hours
later) but she is still acting aggressively  and continues to try to attack him
through the baby gate (had to separate  them).  When they were outside to
potty they got along ok but with open  wounds I can't leave them out there in the
dirt.

While cleaning her up after the fight I notice a cluster of blood under her
cyst site that is about the size of a dime.  I used a warm towel to remove
the scabbing that I thought was just drainage from her cyst.  Turns out she  is
very raw under there and obviously in pain.  I just gave her a  rimadyl and
I'm hoping she will stop attacking Freddie.

So I'm wondering how I can get this area to heal as its just under her ear
and seems to stay moist.  Is this something I need to get some dressings  and
flex wrap to cover? I imagine she'd just try to take it off.  Just  thought I'd
check with the experienced droolers before wasting a trip to the  vetlady to
hear she just has a gooey sore.

You all know more about bassets that anyone I know.  Any suggestions  from
people that have dealt with wounds under the ear that are difficult to dry
would be appreciated.

Helene, Freddie and Ellie