[Dailydrool] Wound care

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Fri Jun 20 05:42:04 PDT 2008

As much as I hate to admit it, I have a lot of experience with dog
fights, and of course, with wound care...

The products that I keep on hand at all times are: (this is not an
exhaustive list, just the basics)

Bactine type wash (brand doesn't matter) use to flush all wounds,
especially punctures

Blue Kote (from Tractor Supply, contains gentian violet.  Prevents
bacteria and fungus, used on livestock.  VERY PURPLE!)

Triple antibiotic ointment

Band-Aid spray for weeping wounds (great for skinned knees, and oozing
shallow sores ,like hot spots or fly bites, on bassets

Crazy glue (per my vet, same as suture glue)

NEVER glue punctures or deep cuts.  Only for CLEANED ear punctures, very
shallow cuts, or bleeding claws.

Flush ALL wounds, bite, raw hotspot, or otherwise, with Bactine, spray
Blue kote on wound, blot w/paper towel.

If dog CAN'T LICK AREA, use triple antibiotic ointment

If there is a raw oozing surface wound, use the band aid spray to dry it
up and reduce irritation.

NEVER glue punctures or deep cuts.  Only for CLEANED ear punctures, very
shallow cuts, or bleeding claws.

If you clean any puncture without seeing a vet, you must check it daily
for any swelling or heat.  At the first sign of swelling at the wound
site, GO STRAIGHT TO THE VET. Abscesses can kill!  When in doubt, go
immediately to the vet!

NEVER glue punctures or deep cuts.  Only for CLEANED ear punctures, very
shallow cuts, or bleeding claws. Too subtle?

Good luck with the sores.  Hope everyone heals up and feels better soon!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!