[Dailydrool] Bald spots and hypothyroidism

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Jun 23 05:37:19 PDT 2008

I've had bald spots on a hound's chest that have meant nothing. But they can also mean hypothyroidism, as some have suggested.

Does your dog also have dry skin, a lack of energy on walks, shed heavily; is she heat seeking (likes to lie in the warmest spot), or does she even have some odd aggression patterns? Any of these can be an indicator for hypothyroidism. I'd look for a few of them before I worried, but it might be worthwhile having your hound's T4 level checked.

Good news is that hypothyroidism is not hard to treat. The medication is inexpensive (though once we are sure of the dose, I plan on ordering it online or getting it from a pharmacy instead of my vet, who prices it up). But you do need periodic blood tests to check on the thyroid levels.

Abner's been shedding like crazy since the weather hit the nineties, three days before the tree fell on our house. Without electricity, I couldn't vacuum, so we ended up with dust dinos all over the place, worse than I've ever had before--and we are no stranger to dust dinos! Ab's stripped down fur is much flatter and more bassetlike. Until now, he's always had a very heavy, thick fur, with a really deep undercoat, nothing like the other hounds'. If losing fur is anything to judge by, I think the medication is working for him.

Can't say I've seen Abner have a lot more energy, but it is summer, and the heat has been pretty high. Our guys have never been so energetic in the heat. Besides, until I have the heart procedure I'm scheduled for (but may not be able to do because of allergies), I don't have a lot of energy for walks.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets