[Dailydrool] Things Left Unsaid

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 08:06:58 PDT 2008

The reason Zelda, with her skull tumor, wears a Snood when she has to be out
in public, is exactly because people say and do things without thinking, and
I do not want to have to explain. I also am not a big fan of double-takes,
or dirty looks ("I would NEVER let my dog get like that. I'd DO something!
That's just AWFUL"
I know people say and think these things, because I have and I am not that
abnormal. (we will debate this point some other time.)
Having Zelda with this great, honking tumor on her head has done a lot to
sensitize me to this, and I think it has actually been beneficial for me in
that respect.
Last week we had a dog in grooming with a huge, basketball sized tumor on
his shoulder. It was horrible, and my instant reaction was *How could they
let it get that bad? Why didn't they do something when they could?  *
And then I thought yup, there you are. And I revised my position to think of
all the reasons, both good ones and bad ones, that might have contributed to
the owner's not doing anything about the tumor. (It actually looked like a
giant Lipoma, but being that big I think it was probably a tumor of some
kind.) Maybe they didn't have the money, or thought it would stop growing
and let it get too large, or a thousand other things.

I know why Zelda has her tumor.
I hope I will remember this the next time I see someone with a dog with
something wrong. That maybe their heart breaks every time they look at their
furbaby with that big tumor, or open sores, or demodectic mange they cannot
get rid of, or a hundred other bizarre things that beset our dogs, but that
for one reason or another, nothing can be done.