[Dailydrool] Thank heavens for tags with name and address on them

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 12:01:11 PDT 2008

I was surprised to wake up this morning to the doorbell ringing at about 6:45 AM.  When I went to answer, there stood a large police officer holding a long piece of hemp with my basset, Bo, attached to the other end.  Bo was grinning and wagging his tail, of course.  My husband left for work about 5 AM this morning and apparently left the gate to our yard wide open when he left.  We have a doggie door.  Bo seems to have decided to seize the opportunity and take himself for a walk in the neighborhood.  (This is unusual in and of itself, as Bo is the timid one of our two and rarely ventures anywhere without an escort.  Today his brother, Harley, and our cat were still asleep in bed with me.)  Bo was extremely proud of himself.  The officer just happened to be driving down our very busy road and noticed traffic stopped both directions to let a basset cross.  The kind officer nabbed Bo, looked on his dogtag, and gave him a ride home in the squad car.  What a nice man.  My heart
 is still beating fast--it is a miracle Bo didn't join the ranks of the rats, toads, and even birds who are roadkill all along the edge of this road (and provide a never-ending source of intrigue to both bassets).   When the police officer left, he asked that I add his name to my list of people hoping to adopt a rescue basset.   Thank you, HPD