[Dailydrool] UK bassets

jules56pt at charter.net jules56pt at charter.net
Tue Jun 24 20:41:35 PDT 2008

Going to the site with the UK bassets brought back so many memories for me.  We lived there for a few years and that is where we found and loved our first bassets.  We got them as puppies.  Sassy was the runt of the litter and the lady who sold her told us she would be hard to manage but we wouldn't listen.  About a month later we went back for her sister, Daisy.  What a pair they made.

They were the best pups.  they never met a stranger.  We had our kids after getting the girls and they never showed any resentment.  My boys grew to love animals because of their patience.  When they playing got too rough, Daisy, especially would go get on our bed for some peace and quiet.

Sassy and Daisy were always together and loved each other fiercely.  Seeing the pictures of the British bassets and countryside brought back some wonderful memories of days long gone.  My beautiful girls lived in three countries and five different homes.  They had to put up with three two legged boys who weren't always gentle.  They were always ladies.  They came from champion stock but that wasn't what mattered to us.  To us they were our first children.  They were wonderful.

I smiled a lot while looking at those pictures and have also cried more than a few tears.  I loved those old girls with all my heart and always will.

I love the girls we have now but there is just something special about the first basset loves that sets them apart.  Sorry for being so maudlin.  My velcro girl, Ninja is sleeping next to me on the couch with her paws against my foot.  She doesn't want me to be sad or alone.

I have to smile through the tears.

Love and drool to those who have lost loves or sick ones,
Julie,  Sunny, Ninja, Marley, Sassy ATB 1996, Daisy ATB 1995, and Sherlock ATB 2007