[Dailydrool] Wyatt Again...

stevebarlow4 at verizon.net stevebarlow4 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 25 18:30:20 PDT 2008

OK, heared back fron Oncology... they got nothing from the spleen.. which doesn't mean it's not a tumor, just means that their sample had no evidence of it. I consider that good, and I think with as much that I pick him up, that a 6 month old malignant tumor would cause pain.  I'm optimistic.

The cancer in the leg was confirmed, but they can't tell what type. So Chemo is out.

Radiation is $1200, and will buy him about 2 months of reduced pain, but not that much more than medication. I'm not sure $1200 is worth 2 months of maybe... plus, he would have to be fully sedated and taken on a 6 hour round trip drive.  Ouch.

I was also given an option of some medication, similar to what is used for osteoperosis... it helps the bone resist degredation from the tumor.  Supposedly it can help with pain.   She's had good luck with a dog that has bone cancer on the spine(OUCH).  This is just $400 per treatment... and I'm seriously considering it as it's minimally invasive and can help his bone.

The problem is, there is no solution that will give us guarateed results. It's all, try it and see if it helps.  Honestly, I'm not sure the actual proven 'medical procedures' are really any better than that k-9 immunity.  Now, if we were to do a full biopsy..  but I've already spend $800, and Wyatt has gone through enough.

She also thinks that there MIGHT be early signs of lung cancer.

The good news is that on the "high end" she gave him 6-8 months.. I think that is very optimistic if you take into account quality of life for Wyatt.. I fully expect late august-late october as the range I expect, but in the meantime, I may just go with the holistic stuff.

All I can say is this.. I had a friend who was told his dog would die by the end of the month of liver cancer, he lived 8 months longer.

I have another friend who was told their dog and 2-3 months without chemo. She switched him to a raw and organic diet.. lots of carrot juice.  It's been 7 years and he's still with us.   But in Wyatt's case, it's all about the pain in the leg.... and when that will be too much for him.

Again, that's all I have for now, and it's disapointing that I don't know more, but sometimes I think the 'professional' stuff is as much as a crapshoot as the stuff like k-9 immunity.  At least that supplement gives you hope without needle pokes and anastesia.