[Dailydrool] Rescue education

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Jun 26 08:07:22 PDT 2008

> It's amazing how many people just don't know about animal rescue -
> I've educated a lot of friends about it

One of the things I've realized about our Elsinore's job as a pet
therapy dog in a hospice is that it gives me a great opportunity to
tell people from all walks of life about rescue groups for bassets
and other breeds. At some point during every visit someone is sure to
ask how old Elsinore is. That's my cue to say we don't really know
her age because she came from Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama. I'll
usually add that we got her little brother at home from Bluegrass. If
they appear interested, I tell them how rescue works and how good it
makes us feel to be able to give a home to "recycled" hounds instead
of helping to perpetuate the problem of too many dogs/puppies for too
few homes. My hope is that when the hospice visitors and staff
consider getting a dog themselves, they'll remember rescue as an
option and their experience with Elsinore will have shown them that
rescue dogs make wonderful companions. I also spread the word about
rescue when we're at the dog park and people ask me about my dogs.

Lately my college has been encouraging its alumnae to not be shy
about bringing up our alma mater and mentioning it by name in
conversations. Apparently, studies have shown that when you just say
"my school" instead of your school's name, your listeners make the
assumption that you're not very proud of your school. But if you name
your school, drink from a coffee mug with its name on the side, wear
its t-shirt at the gym, and so on, people assume not only that you're
proud of where you went to school but also that it's a good school,
one worth attending. I think the same principle applies to most
organizations, including rescue groups/dogs. When we talk about our
rescued bassets and let people know their stories and how rescue
works, then we not only spread the word about our hounds' "alma
maters" but also give the impression that rescue is worth checking
into. My college, by the way, is Sweet Briar College, a small women's
school tucked into the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in south-
central Virginia. Check it out at http://www.sbc.edu  ;)

Elizabeth