[Dailydrool] Norm Update #2, Listerine and Nails

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Jun 27 18:02:03 PDT 2008

We just got back from visiting Norm at the hospital.  He is looking somewhat
better this evening.  They have offered him food (canned and diluted) which
he wouldn't eat.  He is still on major pain meds and acts like he is
nauseated, so this is not surprising.  Of more concern, he has not peed or
pooped, so they are closely monitoring that.  We know he has poop in him and
he has had a ton of IV fluids.  Hopefully, he will be able to be switched to
oral pain meds in the morning and he will feel more like himself.  The goal
is for him to come home tomorrow evening.  But before he can come home, the
pain has to be managed by oral meds, he has to be eating, peeing and
pooping.  Keep the drool coming please!

I have used Listerine (or cheap generic Listerine-type mouthwash from the
dollar store) for years.  It is great!  I use it to clean and freshen my
patio, the infamous rocks, and the grassy area in our smaller fenced area.
I put it in my sprayer that attaches to my garden hose.  If the patio is
really stinky, I splash it on the most offensive areas, then spray down the
entire patio.  Works wonders!

One of the problems with many bassets who object to their nails being cut or
dremel-ed is that they were not properly trained from birth.  We handle our
puppies feet several times a day from the day they are born.  We clip their
nails beginning at a week or so old.  If the nails don't need trimmed, we
touch them with the clippers at least once a week.  We also get them
accustom to being restrained and laying on the grooming table.  We continue
this throughout the time they are with us (usually 14 - 18 weeks).
Remember, anything a puppy learns by 18 weeks, they will remember forever.
That includes both good and bad experiences.  So, when puppies or dogs have
painful or unpleasant experiences with their feet and/or nails, it is not
surprising that they object.  Even so, some of my dogs - all of whom were
raised this way - accept nail grinding more placidly than others.  All are
compliant but some are more relaxed than others.  I think some dogs are
simply more sensitive than others - and, I KNOW that the vibration of a
dremel "tickles" their feet, particularly the back feet.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets