[Dailydrool] Lip warts?

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 08:49:48 PDT 2008

As if my prolonged and traumatic dental work (two crowns and an awful
root canal) hasn't been enough for this month (and next), our
Elsinore has decided to add to the fun by developing small growths on
her lower right lip. I noticed them just a few minutes ago while
fooling around with all the loose lip skin that's hidden under her
upper jowl. I've called the vet and he'll see her on Monday morning.
But while we're waiting to see him, I thought I'd ask the collective
wisdom and experience on the Drool about small, round lip growths.

She has four that I can see and they look rather like large warts or
small polyps. Very round and pinkish, like her lip skin only a bit
lighter. They don't seem to bother her and she's able to chew on hard
kibble and young Charlie's neck just fine. They also didn't stop her
yesterday from picking up a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest
in our backyard ("leave it! leave it! leave it!"). I'm not sure when
they developed, but it was definitely after the end of March when she
had her annual. The vet did a thorough mouth check then.

I've had a look at Charlie's lips and he doesn't have any growths, so
it doesn't look as if they're contagious. My hope is that they're
just polyps or a fungal infection or something simple and easy to fix
like that. I'm not going to allow myself to consider other
possibilities. We're working on keeping it light here by joking about
Elsinore's mouth being an X-File because of the inexplicable alien
growths in it.

Has anyone else had this sort of growth appear on their basset's lips
before? Any ideas?

Elizabeth