[Dailydrool] Nail trimming

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 09:47:03 PDT 2008

Our Elsinore tolerates her nails being trimmed with the Dremel but
strongly opposes being touched with nail clippers. For the first
year, Ken had to hold onto her when I Dremeled her nails, but since
then, she's let me do it. She likes to constantly reposition herself,
which means I end up feeling like a geriatric break dancer, spinning
slowly around on my back on the kitchen floor, trying to catch up
with her feet. I move the Dremel across each nail for an out-loud
count of four. When I've counted four on all the nails on one paw, I
give her a piece of cheese. Elsinore now knows how to count to four
for four times in a row. What was that about bassets being the tenth
dumbest breed?

Young Charlie won't go near the Dremel and I haven't taken the time
to work with him on getting used to it. Sometimes I trim his nails a
few at a time after he's fallen asleep on the sofa with us while
watching tv at night. Doing it this way means the nail trimming can
take up to a week to accomplish. Sometimes I follow a Drooler's
wonderful suggestion and smear peanut butter with a spatula on the
kitchen floor (the Drooler said to smear it on a wall, but I just
can't bring myself to do that). This distracts Charlie enough for me
to get all his nails trimmed by the time he's done cleaning up the
peanut butter. He still tries to make it difficult for me to hold
onto his feet, but it's harder for him to do so because the peanut
butter is such a huge draw. I think it helps that the only time he
gets peanut butter is when he gets his nails trimmed. That makes the
peanut butter more of a special treat.

And then there was our late, great Jane Basset who hated having her
nails trimmed but would allow me to do it nonetheless. She never
struggled, she never pulled away, she never even thought of snapping
at me. She just put her head down and silently endured with an
expression of deep suffering designed to make me feel so horrible
about what I was doing to her that I'd stop and never do it again. It
didn't work. I caught on to her form of emotional manipulation early
on in our relationship. I think our Jane would say that one of the
best things about being at the Bridge, besides all the deer to chase,
is that you never have to have your nails trimmed, ears cleaned, or
anal glands expressed ever again once you get there.

Elizabeth