[Dailydrool] NAIL TRIMMING

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Jun 30 07:44:56 PDT 2008

All of my puppies were very good about nail trimming before they left my
care, but as evidenced by Sebastian who lives with friends of mine, that
is very easily reversed by someone accidentally cutting a claw too
short.  Think about pulling your fingernail forcibly off behind the
quick, and you will have a picture of what it feels like to have a claw
cut too short.  To top it all off, they have to WALK on the painful toe,
and they have no choice about it.  Very traumatic!  They don't forget
that kind of lasting pain.  For some dogs, the grinder is the best
thing.  Also, take them for a loooong walk first, so they are tired
before trying to clip.  If you walk them regularly on cement, you can
get away with less trimming.

Clover has trained me in a way that is less uncomfortable, because if
the clipper is even a LITTLE bit dull, it also squeezes in a painful way
while cutting.  She evidentially has very sensitive quicks.  Claw
trimming is always miserable for her, although she trys to be obedient,
I must tie her so she knows she can't run and hide.  I now clip at a
strong angle, first from the top of the nail to the tip, snipping off
some of the top curve, then from the bottom of the nail to the tip, then
from the sides to the tip.  While it takes longer and you have to make
extra cuts, I can completely avoid the quick, which prevents the
crushing sensation that she feels.  She is much less anxious after she
realizes that I am not hurting her, and she behaves so much better than
when she was young.  I don't have to sit on her any more. Most of my
kids are great about claw trimming, so they don't have any problem
laying still for it.  The fussy ones get a treat every toe or so.
Channy has a fear/boredom problem, so I let her run around a little
between each foot, then she comes back for another treat, and I can get
the next foot done.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!