[Dailydrool] Puppy wont leave driveway!

Ashley avivaca at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 12:13:39 PDT 2008

Hello,

First time poster here.  I have a little boy basset ("Dexter") who is almost 9 weeks old.  He is a fabulous dog, I must say, but we're having a funny problem with him.  He won't leave the front yard to go for walks.  We live in a fourplex with gravel driveways in the front, and he will walk all over the gravel but refuses to step down the sloping curb to the road.  He whines, cries, refuses, ignores us.  Usually we have to bribe him completely with treats or carry him 20-30 feet before he'll actually consider walking.  We are really clueless as to why he behaves like this.  We can't think of any occasions  where he has been scared or frightened out there.  The weather isn't too hot so i don't think  that's bothering his paws.  Any ideas on why he's doing this, or what we can do about it?

Thanks!  Much appreciated.
Ashley