[Dailydrool] Mouth Warts

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sat Jun 28 12:02:15 PDT 2008

We just went through a bout with warts in the mouth.  Grady had them in his
mouth and on his gums.  We did have to have the ones on the gums removed -
in fact, that is how we discovered they were warts.  Because they looked
like growths, we had them sent to pathology and they came back as warts.
Shortly after they were removed, he developed a cluster of warts under his
chin and several on his lips.  We ended up having the cluster under his chin
surgically removed because he kept scratching them and they were bleeding.
After those were removed, the others resolved themselves within two weeks.
Warts are caused by the canine papiloma (sp?) virus.  They are self-limiting
and will go away eventually.  As long as they are not bothersome, I would
leave them alone.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets