[Dailydrool] basset and nails

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 06:23:02 PDT 2008

The worse hound here to get a nail trim is Mazzie. We stopped at PetSmart
after adopting her from the humane society. We requested a nail trim so as
the lady is doing this she starts thrashing around and crying and bit my
husband accidentally.  Nothing major. Well, that was the last time she was
taken there for nails too.  I cut her nails now.  A few times she has nipped
me, but I tend to cut a nail, give a belly rub and talk in a soothing voice
to her. Most importanlty, for her, I make sure no one else or no other
furbabies are in the room as not to distract her.  She has very long, very
brittle black nails.  I am so afraid of cutting the quick with her.

Maggie is a dream. She will hide herself when she sees the clipper, but will
reluctantly come over when called and flops on her back for her nail trimm.
No issues with her at all.

Oliver is a little crapper when it comes to nails.  I have tried having my
leg over his body, etc. but he tries to get up and go. I tend to have to
hold him on my lap to cut his nails.

I have never tried a dremmel on them. I do use a file for Oliver's nails as
they get very sharp and scratch a human.  My hope is to walk them enough on
the concrete sidewalks that they will wear down themselves and not have to
be trimmed.

DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and OLiver