[Dailydrool] Corinth, MS bassets on their way to Texas

Bonnie Garner parrothead at ripleycable.net
Sun Jun 29 19:14:45 PDT 2008

The Corinth, MS, bassets left the shelter today for the journey to Austin, TX, and a new life.

Rick and I participated in our very first transport.  It was absolutely awesome.  The girls, Evee and Maggie, were sooo sweet and laid back.  Nervous?  No way.  I guess when you've been through what they have in their lives already, a ride in an air-conditioned Element with dog bed, treats and their own personal caregiver wasn't anything to be stressed over.

These girls were not brought into the shelter together, but when we put them in the vehicle they immediately bonded.  They loved each other from the moment they saw the other one.  The slept on one another's head and snuggled close by.

I guess what struck me most is how they wanted to catch your gaze, look you right in the eye most of the time.  I don't know if they were asking "What's happening now?" or if they were saying "Thank you."

We met Menzie and Noel in Brinkley, Arkansas, and they were off with the girls to Texarkana for the night.  From Texarkana someone will take them on to Austin and their new foster home.

Thanks to the people who let us be a part of this.  I'm still processing all the emotions involved.  But I will say I have a much better understanding of the word "failure" that is used on the Drool so much.

In all my excitement, I forgot to take pictures.  I hope their foster mom will send me some soon.

Bonnie
Slave to Stanley, Beachbaby, Lowretta, Stella (ATB), J.D. (ATB), Begonia (ATB)
Transport Slave to Evee and Maggie