[Dailydrool] Mixed feelings about "Gracie" in the American Girl film

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 19:04:42 PDT 2008

While I enjoyed seeing Baguette on the Today show, I have to confess to
pretty mixed feelings about such a high profile role for a Basset. I've seen
what happened to Dalmatians in the wake of 101 Dalmatians, and St. Bernards
in the wake of the big St. Bernard movies.

We already are drowning in dogs coming into rescue because they were impulse
purchases, and I fear we may see an uptick when the young girls who convince
their parent they just "have to have a Basset" find they drool, or need to
be walked, or bark, or are not as immediately well-behaved and charming as
Baguette/Gracie.

I hope I'm wrong, but truly I'm worried....

Sylvie McGee
SPDR Basset Rep
360-705-1233
sylviemcgee at comcast.net