[Dailydrool] dominant

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Thu May 1 07:58:37 PDT 2008

Bassets are hardwired to be pack animals and to seek their highest
possible position in the order of power. When we interfere with the
natural order the dogs decide on, sometimes it works but mostly it does
not. You would have to be there 24/7 to enforce your order if it differs
from the "natural" one.

What we can do it teach each dog that "displays of dominance" are not
tolerated. I'm not sure how wise it is to favor a dog of lower ranking
if they ever have any unsupervised time together. As the saying goes,
"payback is a b...."

You CAN demand continuous civil interaction in your presence. This will
carry over into those unsupervised times.

Also as mentioned previously puppies are given wide latitude for
breaches in doggie etiquette. But at the same time puppies must be
taught and older dogs all feel the obligation to "assist in the
educational process." Ruby got away with murder at 3 months. She is now
8 months and some of her antics are not so readily tolerated. The
"moments in education" have become much more intense after she has
ignored previous lessons.

Dan Hickey