[Dailydrool] Mounting

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu May 8 19:38:07 PDT 2008

When I had a spayed female as part of our pack, the "boys" would
occasionally pay extraordinary attention to her behind.  If they were brave
enough to try to mount her, she would put an immediate stop to that.  So,
they would mount each other.  BUT, the interesting thing is that it usually
meant that she had a bladder infection or vaginitis brewing.  They could
tell days before I could see any signs.  Eventually, I caught on and would
whisk her into the vet for a urinalysis and 90% of the time, the boys were
correct!

Unless he has experienced a female in season, it is not likely that is the
issue.  My boys, having had firsthand experience with breedable females, act
weird if there is a bitch in season within five miles.  Someone in my area
has a bitch that goes into season in March and August.  I can count on lots
of humping and Hoagie not eating for 10 days or so.  At dog shows, it is not
unusual for Hoagie not to eat for the same reason.  Also, at dog shows we
put each boy in an x-pen with a girl to avoid fights, since there is always
a bitch in season somewhere. The girls keep them in line!

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets
sandi at redbaybassets.com