[Dailydrool] Gum

Ndoscoptec at aol.com Ndoscoptec at aol.com
Tue May 13 03:47:17 PDT 2008

The sugarfree gum that is a problem has Zylitol (Xylotol) in it. These are
usually the new types like Orbit. I would check the label. My Basset ate a
bunch  of sugarfree cough losenges once. She ate the package too so I had to go to
the  store to check out the label. They didn't have zylotol and she was fine.
The  Zylotol effects the liver. We had a pug in our clinic a year or so ago
that had  turned as yellow as a highlighter after chewing on one piece. He got
better with  fluids and care. The amount that causes a problem has not been
determined. Some  dogs don't react to it at all, some get very sick with a tiny
amount. So, check  the label, if it has zylotol have your dogs liver values
checked.
Maureen

favorites at AOL Food.