[Dailydrool] Hound stink

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Thu May 1 05:24:14 PDT 2008

I sent this to the original poster, but forgot to include the drool in
the TO line.

The rule of thumb is "the crappier the food, the more they stink".  But,
"what is good for one hound is not necessarily what is good for another"
is also true.  Bassets stink for a number of reasons, among them are ear
infection, full anal glands, and food allergy.  I do know that when I
quit feeding "Grocery store" food (i.e. Eukanuba, Iams, Purina of any
sort, Pedigree) and started feeding VF complete and Enhance hunting dog
food, my dogs smelled better within a week, and their ears are in much
better shape.  There are lots of designer dog foods out there, and lots
of things that say "Chicken and Rice" on the label, but they aren't
necessarily any better than the grocery store food.  I use VF because I
have a dog who is allergic to corn, and it is the only affordable food
that actually doesn't have corn in it.  Pretty much everything I can
afford that says "chicken and rice" also has corn.

Again, what works for one is not necessarily going to work for another.
Some people swear by BARF feeding, and if I could afford the energy to
do it, I would try it.  Others on the list do use that method, and have
solved many problems for their problem hounds.

I also found an interesting web site that sold a probiotic food
supplement for dogs, and people claim that their dog hasn't had an ear
infection since they started using this product.  Worth a second look!
A couple of sites are:  http://www.petenzymes.com/  also:
http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1208

There are many other items available at the calvetsupply website, look
around for something affordable that you think you would like.  They
also carry renal supplements for pets facing kidney failure.  Someone
wrote about their dog having vomiting and digestive problems.  Look up
this product: GastriCalm Chewable Tablets
<http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1414>

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!