[Dailydrool] Buppy questions

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Thu May 1 12:43:44 PDT 2008

Congratulations on your puppy.

At 14 weeks I would be feeding him at least 3 times a day at least for the next 4 or 5 weeks.

The easiest way I have found to feed puppies is to estimate his adult weight and feed that amount.  If the bag says (just an example) 2 cups a day for a 60 lb dog.   Divide the 2 cups between 3 meals.   That way you will always be feeding the same amount..

I have never had a picky eater and usually finish a meal before I turn my back,  but yes, leave it for about 10 min. and pick up the bowl of whatever he hasn't eaten.    Crate training is easier if you feed in the crate (crates mean good stuff).

I wouldn't cover the crate the whole way, yet.  You want him to feel like he is part of the family.  make sure he can see everybody.

No the sooner you get him off of junk food the better.   Read the labels.  Any food without corn, wheat, soy, gluten,  and the meat sources are the first 3 things listed should be good.
Same with treats, read the ingrediants.  Be wary of treats with sugar/ corn sryup etc.

Get some salmon oil and give some as a top dressing to his food.   A raw egg a couple of times a week is good.    To minimize intestinal distress get some probiocts.   Add to food especially before and after he gets his next shots.    If he gets the runs after his shots add some plain pumpkin to his meals for a few days.
DO NOT LET THE VET TALK YOU INTO 5 OR 7 WAY COMBO SHOTS.    AND NEVER, EVER GIVE RABIES WITH REGULAR VACCINATIONS.   in fact wait until he is at least 5 months old before his 1st rabies shot.

Don't expect miracles with potty training.  He is just a baby.    He should be able to hold it all night but probably not more the 3 hours or so during the day.

I have never had a problem switching food.  I bounce between raw & 3 different kibbles.

cheese could give him the runs so use spariingly.  I like "Charlie Bears" for training.  They are small and only have 3 calories a piece.

Look at the ingrediants of soft treat.  Some of them can cause reactions.  Very high in Corn Sryup.

Try to find the most natural soft treats for special rewards.  Or boil some chicken in garlic and use that .   You can also cut up hot dogs in very small pieces for special training treats, though my dogs don't like hot dogs.    Prime rib they love.  lol.

Have fun with him.   They grow up fast.

Cathy