[Dailydrool] New Buppy Welcome

Mucci, Annette Annette.Mucci at Delmonte.com
Fri May 2 10:19:23 PDT 2008

Hi Suzanne,
Welcome to the drool!  Schroeder was our first crate success!  We fed him every meal in his crate.  We would put him in his crate whenever we couldn't keep both eyes on him for the first 6-9 mos. as we couldn't cook dinner and be chasing a buppy around.  We crated him while we ate dinner too and surprisingly now he goes and lays down in the living room whenever we eat.  That is nice.  We kept his crate in the kitchen (we spend most of our time in the area where his crate was).  I also kept a crate upstairs where the other dogs sleep too for nighttime.

We fed him 3 times a day and had a pet sitter coming 2x a day for 9 - 10 mos since we both work full time. We also took him to the same spot every time we would go outside to potty.  We pulled the water dish at 7 pm, for the first few months, and then gradually worked our way up to the point where I didn't have to do that.  That helped the nighttime potty outings a lot!

He did pee in his crate occasionally.  First few weeks were rough, but he was only 9 weeks.  It takes time.  However, now at a year and 2 mos, he has not messed in his crate in I can't remember how long.  I think we were pretty successful in getting through the first stage of his puppyhood.

Now we are battling teenage adolescence and authority testing!  LOL!

Drool to all in need!

Annette, Schroeder, Maya & Cassie