[Dailydrool] Pw Gina Marie turns 12 years old

Susan Green suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Fri May 2 12:38:58 PDT 2008

Tomorrow is Pw Gina Marie's calendar day and her 12th birthday.  I have been owned by her for 4 1/2 years and can't even imagine my life without her.  During this past year she allowed me to kiss her on the lips for the first time, without trying to take my face off....LOL

We moved cross country last June and she has found a whole new set of people to train.  She hasn't quite got the Vet completely under her paw yet, but one of the Vet techs picks her up in his arms and carries her like royalty from 1 room to the other instead of making her walk :)

At Christmas she taught the new mail person that Basset Hounds get mail too.  Her first piece of mail had question marks all across the envelope.  We had to explain that Gina's mail did belong in my mailbox, and that she would be receiving about 300 more Christmas cards.  Reading Brudder Elwood's post yesterday brough back fond memories of my conversation with our mail carrier.

Gina never liked being off leash and did NOT like going out in the yard at first.  We didn't have a fenced in yard in NJ and she was used to being taken for a walk every couple of hours.  I had to walk her in the yard for the first week that we lived here, the 2nd week I had to stand outside with her and hold her leash in my hand so she could see it.  By the 3rd week I was having a problem getting her to come in because she learned to love laying out there and taking her naps in the sun.  It was so warm by the end of June that I was afraid she would get heat stroke from being out there so long.  The warmer weather has helped with her arthritis.  Even during the winter she wasn't stiff when she woke up in the morning.  She takes a natural supplement for inflamation, but no longer needs to take Previcox.

Gina enjoyed last year's photo shoot more than any other we have done.  I left enough ice cream in each container to make them interesting and taped them to my kitchen floor.  As you can see, she managed to move 1 of the containers.  She probably would have tried to walk off with it except that the tape was still on the bottom and it got stuck when she put it down in the new spot.  Some of the "out takes" were a lot cuter, but you couldn't see her face because if was all the way down inside the tub.

Tomorrow we will celebrate all day.  We will open her cards & gifts in the morning and she will have her favorite meal for dinner....turkey, jellied cranberry sauce, and salad.

Happy Birthday Sweetie!!!  Mom loves you with all her heart.

Suz