[Dailydrool] The World According to Norm - My First Dog Show

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sat May 3 19:49:36 PDT 2008

It's me again - Norm!

I had a big day today and it started REALLY early.  Did you know that it is
still dark at 6:00 AM?  Dad fed all of us and of course, I didn't eat . it
was WAAAYYY too early.  Then mom stumbled out to the kitchen . she is not a
morning person, so it wasn't a pretty sight.  I usually don't see her
eyeballs until somewhere around 9:30 AM.  She was so scary that when she
tried to put my collar and lead on me, I hid behind Dad in the kitchen.  He
thought that was pretty funny but Mom .. NOT!  Finally, we hit the road and
went to pick up Granny Pat.  And I thought Mom was scary early in the
morning!  I didn't even recognize Granny Pat.  I think she took "monster
pills" last night and they hadn't worn off yet!  I decided the best thing
would be to close my eyes and hope the scary visions would disappear.

Next thing I knew, Mom was parking the van and it was raining really hard.
Mom got out and started playing in the rain, Granny Pat got out and
disappeared around the corner of a building, then Mom got me out!  I was
afraid I was going to melt 'coz I'm so sweet . Yeah, right!  We sprinted
through the rain drops and went under a big tent . where it was wet, muddy,
had hay on the ground and 2456 nickzillion dogs.  Some of the dogs had long
legs, some had short ears, some had curly fur and they were all very nice.
A big giant dog slobbered on me when I went under his chin!  Then I saw the
dogs that look like Grady, Hoagie and Johnny (and me too!).  Mom tried to
dry me off and told me to sit on a crate pad, but I just rolled in the wet
grass.

After a little while a man called "BASSET NUMBER SEVEN"!  Mom and I went
into this big square with a white fence.  I was trying really hard to
remember all of the things all of my DD buddies told me to do.  Hmmmm. roll
over, get a belly rub, kiss the judge, stand still, don't stand still, do a
flat basset ??? It was very confusing.  I decided it was better to do what
Mom told me to do . except for the stand still part, especially since she
had liver and cheese in her pocket.  Then the judge gave me a pretty blue
ribbon that said First Prize and Mom gave me a kiss!  When we went back
under the tent, I jumped up into Mom's chair .. I wasn't going to sit on the
wet grass anymore!  Mom was not amused.  Suddenly, I heard that man call
"BASSET NUMBER SEVEN" again and Mom jerked me out of the chair and we went
back into the ring.   (Why do they call it a ring if it is square and
doesn't make a sound?)  This time I got a purple and white ribbon that said
Reserve Winner.  Mom said that means that I was second place of all the boys
and that was really good for a boy who's brains had not yet arrived.

I was really tired and I slept all the way home.  Mom hung my ribbons on my
bed tonight . I wonder what they taste like?