[Dailydrool] Diarrhea--run its course or go to vet

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Mon May 5 12:24:40 PDT 2008

Slippery Elm, or Psyllium, works really well for diarrhea. You can get
either one at your health food store. The Psyllium I use for the dogs is NOW
brand. The Slippery Elm I use for the dogs is Nature's Way capsules. I
mostly use the Psyllium, though. When it's necessary, I just sprinkle one
capsule over their wet food.

Cathy suggested Fasting your dog. I agree! But it doesn't have to be for
long ~~ just 12 hours, which is basically one day. But during a Fast you
want to give plenty of fluids. It can be homemade chicken or turkey broth,
excess fat skimmed off. I usually put about 1/2 - 3/4ths cup of broth in
their 4-cup water bowl, which will encourage more drinking.

If the diarrhea doesn't let up within a couple of days, go to the vet with 2
fecal samples: one from the AM, and one from the PM. And if there's an
afternoon poo, take that one too. All 3 samples need to be in individual
ziplock bags.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA
"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.