[Dailydrool] Dog fights - advice please

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Tue May 6 03:09:17 PDT 2008

Sorry if this is long.
Rolph and Clara have always got on really well. Of course, they've had the odd micro-second spat, but on the whole, they cuddle together, wade in to protect one another, share "finds", will drink from the same water bowl at the same time etc. Until recently.
Henry went to his forever home for a trial run about two months ago. Rolph never liked Henry, but Henry was really submissive so they never really fought, Rolph just growled/snapped/blew raspberries at him.Occasionally there was a spat.  Clara played with Henry and snuggled up with him.

Anyway, since Henry left, Rolph and Clara's spats seem to have increased and become more meaningful. I tend not to intervene, allowing them to sort themselves out. It generally ends with Clara on her back with Rolph's jaws round her neck. No blood, no real violence, just a "sorting". Odd really, as Clara is the one who in general pushes Rolph around.

Anyway, over the past week they have had several real humdingers. These have reached the level where even shouting at them (which I only do if it is going above a bad spat) has failed to stop it.

I THINK, but am not sure, Clara is starting them. They are generally (but not always) while I am preparing their food.
Yesterday morning, they really went at it while I was making their breakfast. Then again, when I started to prepare their dinner. This time I grabbed Rolph and threw him into the hallway and Clara and threw her outside. When I had the meals ready I opened the hall door, letting Rolph into the kitchen, then opened the back door to take their bowls outside (they always eat outside the back door).
As I opened the door Clara leapt in, straight into the attack and they were off again. I grabbed her collar to pull her off him and she for the first time ever growled and snarled at me (she didn't try and bite me).

After they had eaten (which they do side-by-side) there was no more animosity that evening, but I have noticed they are less likely to share beds now.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Should I do more to prevent or stop the fights?

Just to recap, I have had Rolph for15 months, an Clara for 7months. Henry arrived two months after Clara, but they both knew him as he walked with us from the time they both joined the family.

Thanks for any advice

Sally, slave to Rolph and Clara

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP