[Dailydrool] Dog fights - advice please

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Tue May 6 08:46:13 PDT 2008

Ahhhh,,,,,,changes in Pecking Order, a trying time for all concerned.

I have 2  girls (a basset and a dachshund) who will lounge together, occasionally groom each other.  BUT, they both want to be first in line at meal time.   Actually the Basset won't let any of the other dogs anywhere near me when I'm fixing a meal.  So she waits in her crate.  Very simple.   Very effective.

I am always amazed at those who have multiple dogs  that don't use crates.  They are the greatest training / peace keeping tool.    All but 2 of my dogs eat in their crates all the time.
That way no one has to worry that someone will steal their food.  I don't have to worry about the slow vs fast eaters.  I can make sure those on supplements get what they need.  It is far easier to watch their weight.

And no one gets into a fight.,

As far as Clara and Rolph  I would not let it escalate further.   Don't give them a reason to fight.  They may both be "Alphas"  So you have to set the limits of acceptable behavior.  Keep a squirt bottle of water handy.  (More effective then yelling, it is amazing how well dogs DON'T HEAR when they are busy with other things).

If you don't you may end up with 2 dogs who will no longer get along at all.

Cathy