[Dailydrool] Dog Not Eating

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Wed May 7 09:26:32 PDT 2008

I know this sounds weird, but dogs can get tonsillitis.  I have had two dogs
that have had tonsil problems.  Both problems showed up between 9 months and
1 year old.  The dogs would not eat for a couple of days, then would eat
again.  When I asked a long time basset breeder/handler if he had any ideas,
he immediately said, "let's look in his throat".  Well he was right.  The
tonsils were out of their crypts and very inflamed.  We did a course of
antibiotics and then had them removed.  The surgery takes about 15 minutes
or so.   Both of my dogs ate dry kibble eagerly the evening that they had
their tonsils out.

My experience (and that of others that have also dealt with this) says if
this is the problem, GET THOSE TONSILS OUT!  Your vet may want to just do
antibiotics, and that is fine to get them under control, but the problem
will recur again and again.  Each time it recurs, the dog will not eat and
during the high growth curve of a young dog (less than 3 years old) this is
not good.  The dog will not fill out properly and nutritional issues may
crop up.  Be insistent and get the tonsils removed if they are the problem.
BTW - Nick's tonsils had hair impacted around them from paw licking etc.
Hoagie's tonsils had bits of food lodged behind them in the crypts.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com