[Dailydrool] Walking dogs

Pries, Susan D. Pries.Susan at mayo.edu
Wed May 7 10:01:20 PDT 2008

I just wanted to comment on the e-mail Val sent regarding walking dogs
in neighborhoods that tie dogs out and forget about them.  I have the
same feelings on those that do not obey the leach law that we have in
our State of Minnesota.  I keep running into off leach dogs, or dogs
that never get walked, just left in a yard and forgotten about.  It
saddens me to no end, as to why people even own animals.

I have two rescues Bella and Bouzer, who will be three in July and were
never socialized.  I keep meeting all these types of daily occurrences
of off leach dogs, and dogs left to fend for themselves.  They always
say, well my dog won't hurt you, well maybe mine will.  B & B never met
other dogs until going into rescue, and how sad for them.  But they
start doggie day care tomorrow to help address these aggressive issues.
I finally found someone I feel can help, and I feel has the knowledge to
help me, and B & B.   So wish us luck, they are loving dogs to people,
just not to other dogs.

Val, I feel for you, and I would not give into people that tie dogs out
in a yard, and expect to never have someone come by and cause their dog
to bark.  But that is just my opinion, you need to do what you feel will
keep you safe, and not be yelled at.  I am not sure where you are from,
but in Mn, we have the same barking rules you talked about.  Mine want
to bark at every situation regarding dogs walking by.  So I keep the
shades pulled out front, and I am using the hose water to detour them
from barking in the yard.  Oh, they do not like to get wet, and it is
working wonderfully, for me the Mom. Hee hee.

Good luck Val, and maybe check out some of your local rules for owning
dogs in your city.  Your vet could be a good resource for you maybe.  I
think your babies should get the exercise and enjoyment of smelling the
flowers if they so choose to.

Sincerely,

Susan from MN
Mom to Chevis ATB, Leo ATB and Bella and Bouzer the loves of my life.