[Dailydrool] Feeding Multiple Bassets

Jody Grack grackj at rjfagencies.com
Wed May 7 12:27:38 PDT 2008

I feed 6 dogs at one time and all of them are in the same room. Before I
will even start dishing the food all of them have to be sitting and if
they start barking I turn around and ask the barker to sit and only when
the barking has stopped will I continue.  Once all the food and
supplements are dished up, I start the actual feeding process.  I start
with the Alpha and I make sure all the others are sitting and quiet.
Then I feed the next dog and make sure all the others are sitting and
quiet and I continue this all the way through the feeding.  If someone
is being extremely vocal I make them not only sit before they get their
food but I make them stay.  Once all the food dishes are done I keep my
eyes peeled and tell the dogs that are done eating to go down stairs.  I
got lucky since the fastest eaters are the last two to eat so everyone
typically finishes at the same time.  I definitely won't suggest for one
of the dog sitters to feed the group like I do only because I am the
"alpha" of my pack.

I have to admit that when I started this process it took twice as long
as it does now cause the girls didn't know the routine, but since we
have started this it works wonderfully.

I find the quieter they are the more relaxed and the less likely that
the situation will escalate into a dog brawl.

Jody and the MN Basset Brigade- Duchess, Maddie, Reo, Lexi, Foster
Penny, Foster Delta, Mable(ATB), Hannah (ATB)