[Dailydrool] Leo's odd behavior, or not...

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Wed May 7 13:38:28 PDT 2008

Circling and pawing at the "ground" is typical Basset nest building.
Some do it more than others and for some it is a ritual. Our first
Basset, Tamad would circle counter clockwise exactly 3 and a half times,
stopping occasionally to paw at the floor or bed or blanket and then lie
down. If anything happened to interrupt this, he would have to start all
over again. Sometimes for my own cruel amusement I would do this
intentionally.

My other Bassets could take it or leave it.

The burrowing and barking is anyone's guess. What is your reaction when
he does this? My older rescue female has a habit of falling over on her
back with her front paws curled and her rear legs splayed because my
wife will say "Mutya, how cute." and give her a really thorough belly
rub. It only took a couple of reinforcements to make that a recurring
activity.

Dan Hickey