[Dailydrool] Does your Basset do this?

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Wed May 7 15:16:13 PDT 2008

I have a question for the collected Basset experience of you Droolers.
My Diamond is a 3 year old intact male. He lives with a 13+ year old
neutered female and a 9 month old intact puppy bitch. He gets around
other dogs a lot with Obedience activities at least twice a week plus
time in the park and then weekend dog shows and Basset club meetings.
Every time he comes into a situation where there are bitches around he
will stop and kick backward with his rear paws. It reminds me of a bull
in the ring getting ready to charge the matador. The more dirt and stuff
he can kick up the happier he is about it. He obviously enjoys this and
the production is getting more elaborate all the time. Yesterday it was
his front paws as well. I THINK it's "Look at me! I'm a stud!" But I
have never seen a dog do this before.

So, is Diamond's "bull charge" unique? Do other Bassets do this too?

Dan Hickey